Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sunday- travel day

We made it safely to Hohhot. It was really hard to say good-bye! I got really emotional when Hannah said good-bye to Kayla. It is so obvious they had a close relationship. I am so thankful for her and the love she gave my girl!!
 
 
I mentioned in my last post that Hannah's orphanage sent a doctor to escort us back to her province. Technically, Hannah's orphanage has custody over her and SFCV is simply the foster village. We signed the paper to give us guardianship, but that was only because the doctor came and had the form. We actually requested that we get to sign her over. The orphanage wanted the doctor and a representative from SFCV to fly with us to her province. Then, they wanted Hannah to stay with the doctor and her ayi in the hotel over night until our official adoption on Monday. I freaked out!! I told my agency to request that we sign the form, so that we could have her from here on out. Hannah would've been so confused if that happened! So, we are thankful we got her, but can I tell you how uncomfortable it is flying with a woman that speaks no English and keeps trying to talk to you?!?!?! No one came with us from SF, because there was no need now that we are the guardians and we know how to care for her. It was a looooong day with this woman. She was very sweet and really went out of her way to help us, but we were getting so frustrated with her!
 
 
After sitting on the runway for an hour and then an hour flight, we finally made it. Our hotel is amazing! The manager speaks perfect English which is an added bonus. We are settled in our room and it feels so good to be here! We went on a little walk to find dinner and of course ended up with McDonalds. I hate being on our own. No one speaks English and we don't know what is safe to eat. So, my daughter with major intestional issues just had her first cheeseburgers. Her ayis would freak out. She loved the fries and would suck the ketchup off of them.
 
We have been playing in the room for the last several hours. Hannah is SO SMART and so sweet!! She has talked more in the last few hours than she has since we got her. We are letting her explore and act like a toddler because we aren't sure she really ever had those experiences. I saw her poor all the water into her cheerios bowl and then drink it. I just let her do it. Then we let her play in the water in the bathroom and poor water from bowl to bowl. She was laughing and having a great time. It is all of those little experiences that go a long way in a child's development. I showed her how to put one of her diapers on her baby and she was cracking up. She thought it was the funniest thing ever!!
 
While I was typing this, Hannah was being really quiet. When I looked over at her, she had taken an orange, completely peeled it and was eating it. She even knew to spit the seeds out. The she picked up all the peels and threw them in the trash. She even put her hand down below the table and used her other hand to brush the small pieces into her hand. She is so smart and so independent. It is simply amazing given everything she has been through!
 
Enjoy the pictures. We have a great connection so there is a lot of them!
 
 
 Saying goodbye to Sara. We love her! She works so hard for these kiddos to get adopted.
 Saying goodbye to Kayla. Very emotional moment. We are so thankful for her!!
 First McDonalds meal...
 She found the bag with the hair stuff and wanted all of these in her hair.
 She was being naughty and mixing the water with the cheerios. I let her do it because it is good to explore! She has missed too many of those moments.
 Here she is walking with her baba to get dinner. At one point she reached her arm back and held my hand. She is SO SWEET!
Here she is learning how to change her baby's diaper.


3 comments:

Mrs. Patterson said...

I'm so thankful that it is going well in Hohhot! I love how God is taking care of every detail. I had to laugh when I read you ate at McDonalds. Why am I not surprised? :)

Janet and Kevin said...

Love following your journey and seeing your daughter bond more and more with you both! So precious.

Hugs,
the bourkes

alee said...

Aww! Love reading your update!I am amazed at how much healthier she looks then she did a year ago & I know she is going to THRIVE now! Praising HIM & praying for you!